Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Christianity is NOT what I thought it would be

Just so you know, I grew up in a Christian family and went through Sunday school, youth group, and Sunday church services. Ever since the age of 8 I've called myself a "Christian". Yet it's only in the past few years that I realized that most of what I'd been taught about Christianity was only partially true and in many cases totally inconsistent with what the Bible really says.

I guess the difference is that before, all I knew about God was told to me by other people (the pastor, a church member, my youth leader, etc.), hearsay so to speak. Now that I've actually been reading and studying the Bible for myself, I'm finally getting to know God directly without any filters.

Here are some things I've learned so far (that I never knew in all my years):

1) God never wants me to lack any good thing. He wants me to be rich so that I can help others. Now that I'm doing exactly what He's called me to do, I spend less time striving to earn and yet I'm making more now than I ever have before.

2) I never have to be sick another day in my life. Anytime I feel symptoms coming on, I stand on His promises of health and healing for my body and within the day (no fail) all the symptoms disappear. In fact, the last time I ever had to be checked into a hospital was the day I was born.

3) I can call on him for protection so that I never have to be afraid of anything this world can throw at me (violence, accidents, natural disasters, even death). I remember during Typhoon Milenyo, I claimed this protection and not a single person or thing on our property was harmed or broken.

4) No matter where I go or with whom I interact with, I have special favor. This has made it so much easier for me to do my work everyday. People just seem to go out of their way to help me.

Not to say, that I don't encounter difficulties anymore because I do. The difference is I am secure in knowing that He has put an empowerment upon me that allows me to conquer any challenge I face. If God is for me, then who can be against me? I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength!

No comments: