Saturday, February 25, 2006

Spark

In the middle of another chaotic time in Manila, I woke up today and realized that my life had become boring. Routine. I liken it to the movie Groundhog Day (with Bill Murray) where his life got stuck on one day and each morning as he woke up every single thing happening around him was the same as yesterday. It got to the point where he actually memorized what everyone would do and could react to it before it happened.

In the same way I felt like nothing in this world inspired me anymore. Not people, not things, not nature, not art or anything else around me. It was as if everything had suddenly become a shade of grey and I didn't bother to look for color.

I DON'T WANT MY LIFE TO BE LIKE THAT!

In the movie, after months of drudgery, Bill Murray's character finally decides that he's not going to let the sameness of each day bring him down, but rather he would focus on the differences of each person in that day and find a way to make each one of them better. So he took the time to get to know the people, to play the piano, to laugh and sing, to change a tire, to catch a boy falling from a tree; and instead of that one recurring day becoming his prison, it actually set him free to be things he never thought he could be.

I read this after I woke up:

whatever is true,
whatever is worthy of reverence and is honorable and seemly,
whatever is just, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely and lovable,
whatever is kind and winsome and gracious,
if there is any virtue and excellence,
if there is anything worthy of praise,
think on and weigh and take account of these things
fix your minds on them.


This is where I'm going. I choose to live my life inspired again by all the things that God has surrounded me with.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i love that passage. =)

Unknown said...

Yeah, it's helping me keep focus now even w/ everything that is happening :)